Sprinter Andre De Grasse has been ruled out of the World Championships in London after suffering a hamstring injury.
The 22-year-old was due to race against 11-time world champion Usain Bolt in the 100 metres, and his absence will come as a huge blow to fans set for the London Stadium.
The Canadian suffered the injury on Monday during a training session and is expected to be out for six weeks.
De Grasse said: “Earlier this week in practice, I suffered a hamstring tear that has forced me to withdraw from the World Championships.
“Injuries are a part of the sport, and the timing of this one is especially unfortunate. While I’m in the best shape of my life and extremely disappointed that I will not have the chance to compete for my country in London, I can’t forget or be ungrateful for the successes that I’ve been blessed with up to this point in my career.
“I’ll be back stronger and faster than ever.”
De Grasse, who is strongly tipped to take the 100m throne after Usain Bolt’s retirement, has been in impressive form this season on the Diamond League circuit.
The three time Olympic medalist won bronze in the 100m, silver in the 200m and bronze in the 4x100m relay at last summer’s Rio Olympics. He also won two medals at the 2015 World Championships.
His agent, Paul Doyle said: “On Monday evening, at Mile End Stadium in London, Andre had his final starting blocks session in preparation for Friday’s 100m heats.”
“On his final run of the day, Andre pulled up with what he described as ‘a grab’ in his right hamstring.
“He was immediately diagnosed and treated by his medical team, and returned to the hotel, where treatment continued. The next day, Andre received an ultrasound scan at the Stratford Stadium, which was diagnosed as a grade I hamstring strain of the long head of the biceps femoris.
“The next day he flew to Munich to meet with Dr Muller Wolfhart for further advice, and potential treatment. Dr Muller Wolfhart diagnosed a grade II hamstring strain, and ruled out the possibility of Andre competing in London.”