Jamie Webb and Olivia Mason claim the wins at the final race of the year in Barrowford.
Jamie Webb clocked 14:33 and Olivia Mason ran 16.55 as the pair took the victories at the fifth edition of the Podium 5k on Saturday evening (December 1).
Despite the damp conditions, runners weren’t put off from racing in the fast ‘no frills’ race in Barrowford, which has seen some of the fastest times recorded this year in the UK.
Liverpool Harriers’ Webb’s winning run of 14:33 was a big 5k personal best for the middle-distance track specialist who now turns his attention to the indoor season.
Clubmate David Devine, who won T13 5000m gold at the World Para Athletics European Championships over the summer, finished in second place, four seconds off Webb in 14:37.
St Helens & Sutton’s Thomas Griffiths completed the top three in 14:42 as eight men finished under 15 minutes.
17 year-old Olivia Mason won the women’s race in 16:55 to record the second fastest time by an under 20 athlete in the UK this year.
The Border Harriers’ runner finished four seconds ahead of Liverpool Harriers’ Rachael Burns who dipped inside 17 minutes in 16:59.
Salford Harriers’ Carla Davies completed the women’s top three in a personal best 17:02.
In the accompanying ‘B’ race, Horwich RMI Harriers’ Toby Middleton took the men’s win in 16:56, while Ribble Valley Harriers’ Helen Glover was the first woman in 17:48.
Men’s top 10
1) Jamie Webb, Liverpool Harriers, 14:33
2) David Devine, Liverpool Harriers, 14:37
3) Thomas Griffiths, St Helens & Sutton, 14:42
4) Degene Gemizu, Liverpool Harriers, 14:43
5) Jonothan Kay, Bolton United Harriers, 14:52
6) Chris Holdsworth, Ribble Valley Harriers, 14:55
7) Callum Davidson, Ribble Valley Harriers, 14:58
8) Jacob Brown, Vale Royal AC, 14:59
9) Benjamin Preddy, Preston Harriers, 15:05
10) Thomas Rogerson, Liverpool Harriers, 15:05
Women’s top performances
1) Olivia Mason, Border Harriers, 16:55
2) Rachael Burns, Liverpool Harriers, 16:59
3) Carla Davies, Salford Harriers, 17:02
4) Elizabeth Renondeau, Vale Royal AC, 17:29
Are you a fan of Fast Running? Then please support us. For as little as the price of a monthly magazine you can support Fast Running – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.