This easy and simple aubergine (eggplant) based recipe is rich with flavour and colour thanks to the vibrant turmeric, smoked paprika, red onion, barley, and cherry tomatoes.
Aubergines (eggplants) are halved and filled with spicy chickpeas, peppers and chopped pecan nuts.
- 2 aubergines (eggplants), sliced in two and scored
- 1/2 – cup chickpeas, mixed with
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup – pecan nuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup – red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup – barley, sliced thinly
- 1/2 cup – cherry tomatoes, sliced thinly
Step 1 – Preheat oven to 200°C / 400°F.
Step 2 – Mix the chickpeas with 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika and 1/2 teaspoon of ground turmeric.
Step 3 – Fill the sliced aubergines (eggplants) with spiced chickpeas and add a pinch of salt.
Step 4 – Bake for 15 minutes, and remove from the oven to add the chopped pecan nuts, red onions, barley and cherry tomatoes.
Step 5 – Bake for a further 10 minutes, and you are ready to serve.