Meet mountain and trail runner Holly Page who will share her journey throughout 2019 on Fast Running.
Holly Page is forever on an adventure and over the last 12 months has travelled the world competing on the mountains and trails – winning a ‘few races’ along the way too.
Over the next 12 months, the 29 year-old plans to not take life too seriously and to enjoy travelling, exploring new places and meeting awesome people.
Name: Holly Page
Age (Jan 2019): 29
Hometown: Nomad (originally from West Yorkshire)
Main discipline: Off road running
Full-time athlete/work/studying: I work in international development. Currently, I’m able to work remotely which is handy as I travel a lot and work from anywhere
Goals or targets for 2019
1) Don’t take life too seriously – Continue to have a wider perspective on running / life and where it fits into the global context
2) Enjoy travelling, exploring new places and meeting awesome people
3) Try and look after my body – stretch and strengthen (like all the best new years resolutions, we’ll see how long that one lasts)
1) Winning a race dressed as a Christmas present at the end of December 2018.
2) Winning Skyrunning World Series 2018 and winning the Grand Final of Golden Trail Series 2018, breaking the record by 11 minutes.
3) Top 10 and first British runner at World Trail Champs 2018 – in a race which at 86km was 30km further than I’d ever run in my life.
4) Various national medals for cycling, rowing, and I won the U24 world duathlon a while back too.
Interesting or fun facts
I speak four languages (handy when you’re a nomad).
I hitch-hiked to six of my seven skyraces this year.
In 2018 I didn’t have more than two weeks at a time in any one place – I lead a settled life!
I also play the violin (occasionally).
I run because…
I’ve been racing since I was an U12 so it’s something I’ve always done.
I love the community around running, the places it takes me, the people I am fortunate enough to meet, and it is great to make friends with those who share the same passion.
Favourite training session
Short fast reps (when I do them) or just having a long day out in the mountains in good weather.
Least favourite training session
Being stuck cycling or running or stepping to nowhere in a gym.
Favourite pre-race food
I’ll usually eat whatever there happens to be.
It’s dangerous when a race puts me up in a nice hotel as I get rather distracted by the buffet breakfast and then spend the first hour of the race regretting my decision to try every type of cake on offer.
Favourite post-race food
Pretty much everything that happens to be in front of me.
Favourite runner or runners
I am particularly inspired by all the fellrunners who invariably finish towards the back end of the field, but are always trying 100%, getting out there because they genuinely love the sport. I hope that will be me in 40 years time!
Brands or organisations that support me
I am joining the Adidas Terrex Team for 2019. I get my energy bar fix from Chia Charge, a great Yorkshire company. I get some hydration tabs from Nuun, Julbo send me sunglasses, and I’m lucky to have been given a Suunto watch which tracks my every move.
Holly Page features in the ‘Fast 10: class of 2019’ and over the course of the year will share her running journey. You can follow Holly on Twitter and Instagram, while further information about the ‘class of 2019’ can be found here.
Are you a fan of Fast Running? Then please support us. For as little as the price of a monthly magazine you can support Fast Running – and it only takes a minute. Thank you.