Tom Lancashire and Becky Rigby won the second Podium 5k road race of the year on Saturday evening (April 7).
Olympian Lancashire, who finished third in the previous edition, came from behind to win the ‘no-frills’ Barrowford race in a course record time of 14:19.
The previous men’s best of 14:24 was only set four weeks ago by Mo Abu-Rezeq in the first podium 5k of the year, with Laura Weightman also running a women’s course record at the time.
It was a big personal best for the 32-year-old Bolton runner who improved his PB by 12 seconds as he led seven men home under the 15-minute mark.
Matthew Crehan, who was the longtime race leader over the five-lap flat course, crossed the line three seconds after Lancashire in a PB 14:22.
Aldershot’s Dane Blomquist completed the top three, one second of his best with a 14:33 clocking.
Among a field of five, Becky Rigby won the women’s race in a road 5k personal best time of 16:30.
The Preston Harriers and Sheffield Uni runner, who finished sixth in the 3000m at the BUCS Indoor Championships earlier this year, was followed by Jenny Bannerman in 16:33. It was a 10 second PB for the Inverness runner.
Jarrow & Hebburn’s Georgia Campbell, who recently featured in Fast Running, took an impressive 24 seconds off her best to complete the women’s top three in 17:04.
Men’s top 10 results
1) Tom Lancashire, Bolton United Harriers, 14:19
2) Matthew Crehan, St Helens & Sutton, 14:22
3) Dane Blomquist, Aldershot, Farnham & District, 14:33
4) Marc Brown, Salford Harriers, 14:47
5) Rob Danson, Wesham Road Runners, 14:48
6) Jay Ferns, Trafford AC, 14:53
7) Alasdair McLeod, Leeds City AC, 14:58
8) Nick McCormack, Morpeth Harriers, 15:07
9) Luke Evans, Bristol & West, 15:13
10) William Rawson, Leigh Harriers, 15:14
Women’s top 5 results
1) Becky Rigby, Preston Harriers, 16:30
1) Jenny Bannerman, Inverness Harriers, 16:33
3) Georgia Campbell, Jarrow & Hebburn AC, 17:04
4) Sinead Bent, Salford Harriers, 17:14
5) Leila Armoush, Leeds City AC, 17:55
The full results can be found here.